13 August 2009

Rhythm and Blues

For the last two weeks I have been in Arizona (for my sister-in-law's wedding) and Chicago (for the Willow Creek Leadership Summit). Now that I am back home, Amy and I are trying to find our rhythm again. It's hard.

I notice that the worst part about being out of rhythm with life is not just the funk of losing your beat. It's that it too easily turns into a self-defeating cycle. Being out of rhythm for working out, putting the kids down to sleep, waking up in the morning, or even reading the Scriptures with regularity makes me depressed. It gives me the blues. And of course these blues don't help motivate me to get back in rhythm.

So I have felt the funk begin to fade over the last couple of days, but it has been a frustrating week trying to get in rhythm. I'm there now, but I felt like I lost a couple of valuable days at less-than-normal efficiency. I've found my groove, but it took too long. Any suggestions on how to keep the groove after a transition?

No comments: