26 October 2009

Arguing with God

I have been thinking a lot about prayer recently as I have been praying more fervently about our needs (and also the needs of many of our friends). I picked up a little book that I read years ago by Charles Spurgeon called "The Power in Prayer". The book is a collection of sermons Spurgeon preached and a favorite of mine is called "Order and Argument in Prayer"

Spurgeon suggests a number of arguments which we should use when petitioning God:
God's attributes
God's promises
The Great Name of God
The Sorrows of His People
The Past
The Only True God
The Sufferings of Jesus

Some of these require some explanation, which is why you should get the book. But I am curious what arguments you might use when you knock upon the door or Heaven and cry out to the Almighty.

2 comments:

Blake said...

i would use God's attributes and His promises, because in my human-weak mind that somehow gives me leverage...i am curious to learn what all Spurgeon meant, maybe I will get that book (after Harry Potter....jk) when I'm back in the states next

Daniel said...

I think I would also use God's attributes but that is also a scary proposition for me, I know I would have to petition God on His attribute of grace because the idea of appealing to His justice or something else scars me because I know the person that I am. I think my only appeal is one to His grace.

Sounds like an interesting book, I might have to pick that one up.